Hazlewood Benefits

Hazlewood Exemption

The Texas Education Code provides for a waiver for active-duty veterans as follows: who were legal residents of Texas at the time they entered military service, and Home of Record is listed as Texas on the DD214, are entitled to a waiver of tuition and some fees at state-supported colleges and universities. This benefit is also available to children of Texas servicemen and women who died or were killed in military service, and to children of Texas military personnel who are shown to be missing in action or prisoners of war. Eligible veterans may now assign unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child under certain conditions. To be eligible, the child must: be a Texas resident, be the biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year, be 25 years or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition), and make satisfactory academic progress in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution. If a child to whom hours have been delegated fails to use all of the assigned hours, a veteran may re-assign the unused hours that are available to another dependent child. Veterans' spouses are not eligible to receive a transfer of unused hours Also eligible are children of members of the Texas National Guard or the Texas Air National Guard killed since January 1, 1946, while on active duty either in service of Texas or the United States. Any person claiming this benefit must have exhausted all federal educational benefits and be a legal resident of Texas at the time of application

Hazlewood Act

Texas Veterans Commission

Frequently-Asked Questions

What items on my bill will the Hazlewood exemption cover?

The following charges will be covered in full by Hazlewood:

• Tuition
• Designated Tuition
• Computer Access Fee
• Technology Services Fee
• International Fee
• Public Records Fee
• Library Fee
• Distance Learning Fee
• Lab Fees
• Post Baccalaureate Int. Fee
• Student Teaching Fee

The following charges are NOT covered by Hazlewood:

• Dorm or apartment charges
• Meal plans
• Recreational Sports Fee
• Athletic Fee
• Medical Service Fee
• Student Center Fee
• Lab or Private Lesson Fees
• Property Deposit
• Parking Fee
• Post Office Box Fee
• Books and Supplies
• Orientation Fee

How do I apply for the Hazlewood exemption?
Complete the Application for Texas Hazlewood Tuition Reduction.
Once a year, each fall semester, complete the Texas Hazlewood Continuation Form.
What documents are needed to prove eligibility?
The DD 214 (member copy #4) is issued to a veteran upon discharge from military duty. Your DD 214 must show that you entered military service from Texas. If you served after September 9, 2001, you will also need a letter from the VA specifying that your eligibility has expired or that you have used your all of your educational benefits.
Can a veteran receiving financial aid still qualify for Hazlewood?
Yes, if eligible.
How long does it take to get approved for Hazlewood?
Once all required documents are received, it takes approximately one day for the exemption to be set up on our computer system. In order to use Hazlewood for a specific academic year, an application must be submitted each fall semester. In addition, the student must contact the SRSU Certifying Officer every semester to request the exemption. The application and all documentation must be received prior to the last day of classes in order to receive the exemption.
How many hours can I take each semester?
There is no limit to the number of hours per semester.
How long can I use the exemption?
Up to a maximum of 150 semester credit hours earned, beginning with fall 1995. Credit earned prior to fall 1995 do not apply toward the 150 hour limit. Developmental hours are included in the total.
If I used Hazlewood at another school, do have to apply at SRSU?
Yes. If you use Hazlewood at another Texas school, you must secure a Notice of Transfer Credit Used for Hazlewood Act from each school attended. Check with the registrar for additional information.