Graduate Transfer Students

The Homeland Security and Criminal Justice Department at Sul Ross State University will take up to 12 hours of graduate credits from any other accredited university as per the rules shown below:

  • Graduate Courses must have a grade of B or better to transfer onto the Hoemland Security or Criminal Justice degree plan.
  • Graduate Courses older than 6 years count as half credit - courses must be under 6 years old at date of graduation from the program - if over 6 years by date of graduation they may count as half credit, thus requiring more than one course to equate to the number of credits received for a new course.
  • Graduate Courses older than 10 years will not be accepted for any reason.
  • Graduate Courses from the CJ subject area can generally be assumed as transferable.
  • Graduate Courses from subject areas outside of CJ will be evaluated on an individual basis by the Graduate Coordinator before being applied to the degree plan.
  • Courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be applied to the graduate degree plan under any circumstances - courses must have been designated as for graduate credit in order to qualify.
  • Military credits, law enforcement and other CEU training, etc. are generally not eligible for graduate credit.  Exceptions may exist, and include things like the Leadership Command College offered through LEMIT/Bill Blackwood Institute.  Generally these exceptions will be offered for graduate credits from the training site and will therefore already exist on a transcript.
  • No Graduate Transfer Courses will be allowed to substitute for CJ 5325 Graduate Seminar in CJ or for CJ 5327  Graduate Seminar in Homeland Security.
  • Anyone wishing to substitute a transfer credit for one of the other required courses must submit a course syllabus to the Graduate Coordinator for consideration.

Anyone with questions about these rules or about their particular transfer credits should contact the HSCJ Department at (432) 837-8166