Transfer of Graduate Courses

THERE IS NO AUTOMATIC TRANSFER FROM OTHER INSTITUTIONS OF CREDITS APPLICABLE TO A GRADUATE DEGREE. A request for transfer of hours must be made to the major advisor at the time a degree plan is prepared. No requests for transfer of hours will be accepted after the degree plan is prepared without written approval of the major advisor and the Dean prior to enrollment in the course at another institution. Graduate students will not be permitted to apply toward the master's degree more than twelve semester credit hours of transferred credits, military service credits, non-collegiate educational experiences, undergraduate courses taken for graduate credit, graduate-level independent study courses, or any combination of these. Such courses must be pertinent to the candidate's program of study.

A student may request transfer of a maximum of twelve semester credit hours in a 36-hour non-thesis program or six semester hours in a 30-hour thesis program from an accredited college or university provided the course work has been approved by the student's major advisor and the dean. Before courses will be approved for transfer, they must meet the following standards.

A. The grade for each course must be at least a B.
B. The course must be unmistakably designated as graduate credit on the official transcript, which must be on file in the Office of Admissions and Records.
C. The time limit of six years must not have expired at the projected time of graduation.
D. The total number of hours taken at Sul Ross State University and any other institution may not exceed 15 semester credit hours in any one semester in the long term or six semester credit hours in either summer term.
E. No more than twelve semester credit hours in any combination of transfer work, undergraduate courses taken for graduate credit, and graduate-level independent study courses may be credited toward the master's degree.