Frequently-Asked Questions

Related Links

Q. What are my chances of receiving financial aid?

The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The likelihood of receiving some form of financial assistance is probably better than most students and their families anticipate.

Q. What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

To receive maximum consideration for aid, the FAFSA must be received by the institution for processing prior to March 15 each year. Students requesting scholarship consideration must submit their requests to the Scholarship Office prior to March 15 of that year.

Q. Is there a maximum income level that will disqualify me from receiving financial aid?

Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need for financial aid assistance; however, other variables are considered such as family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various other allowances to the family's income and assets.

Q. Are there other forms that I can fill out in order to be considered for any other grants?

The FAFSA is the only application required in order to be considered for all grant programs available through processing by the financial aid office. Notification of all eligible programs will be provided in the form of a printed award letter listing the types of aid you can expect to receive for the school year.

Q. In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. In order to receive consideration for eligible programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA as close to January as possible.You must apply on-line

Q. If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent do I put on the FAFSA?

You should provide information from the parent that provided you with the most support in the past year. If the parent who provided you with the most support has remarried, your step-parent's information must also be provided on the FAFSA.

Q. Why can't I apply for financial aid without using my parent's information on the FAFSA form?

When you apply for federal student aid, your answers to certain questions will determine whether you are considered dependent on your parents or independent. If you are considered dependent on your parents, you must report their income and assets as well as your own. If you think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent, talk to your financial aid administrator.

Q. What happens if I drop a class?

If you drop a class prior to the census date, you may be responsible for repayment of the difference between the amount of money you received and the amount specified for the new enrollment status. If you drop a class, you must make sure you remain in compliance with our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.

Q. What happens if I withdraw?

If you withdraw completely or drop below 1/2 time status, you may be responsible for repaying money received from financial assistance. Your grace period for student loans begins to count down and if you fail to enroll within 6 months, you will go into repayment status on your student loans.

Q. Will the financial aid transfer from one school to another?

No. Financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Student planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.

Q. What is verification? And why was I chosen?

You should save all records and all other materials used in completing the application because you may need them later to prove that the information you reported is correct. This process is called verification.

Many students are selected for verification randomly by the federal processor. However, verifications are also chosen due to mistakes and important data missing on the form such as those questions pertaining to income.

Q. Why is the maximum amount of loan money limited?

Students applying for the Federal Stafford Loan are subject to annual and aggregate loan limits that are based on the academic level, dependency status, and length of the academic program. The U.S. Department of Education presets Federal Direct Loan limits.

Q. What if my financial assistance is not available by the due date for my tuition?

Students may apply for short-term loans to help pay for certain semester educational expenses. Yes, there is a small short-term loan percentage rate but it is very minimal compared to other alternatives. These loans must be repaid before the semester ends.