Student Health Insurance

Sul Ross State University does not offer a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The mandatory medical fee is NOT health insurance. 

University athletes have limited supplemental accident through the department of athletics; call (432) 837-8226 for details.

Domestic students health insurance at Sul Ross is fully voluntary and strongly recommended.

International students must show financial solvency when applying for an F1 student visa. The United States healthcare system is supported by private markets, not socialized medicine. For this reason, it is important that international students obtain their own health insurance coverage.

State insurance guidance is at Texas health options.

Click here for military veterans.

Texas Health Coverage Assitance for low income: 

The Medicaid office is located in Centennial School's Human Services Department, 500 W Avenue H # 104, Phone (432) 837-3338.

Big Bend Regional Hospital District can help uninsured students obtain a variety of prescription medications, plus offer basic healthcare coverage for low income Brewster and Presidio county residents. Their Alpine office is located at ​105 W. Holland Ave, Alpine, Texas 79830. Call (432) 837-7051.

For information about Texas' primary care program, contact the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) at (432) 837-3877. STD screening and vaccinations are offered by DSHS to underinsured residents.

Disclaimer: The following links to health insurance products, services and/or memberships are for informational purposes only and do NOT represent an endorsement by Sul Ross State University's Student Health Services.

Because of the university's remote location, air ambulance is often used to transport patients one hundred miles or more for specialized care. One flight alone can cost twenty thousand dollars or more. Health insurance policies that don't provide adequate coverage can leave students and/or their families with a sizable debt. 

Big Bend Regional Medical Center (BBRMC) transports patients out-of-town when a higher level of specialized care is needed. The Emergency Room physician chooses the method and source of transport as determined by a patient's condition. Students who are underinsured for air medical transport may contact BBRMC's operator at (432) 837-3447. They will direct your call to hospital staff who can help with information about air medical transport memberships, which is not insurance.    

BETiNS travel insurance. Offers international student, scholar, and long term medical insurancelow income 

International Student Organization (ISO) in the USA, call toll free 1-800-244-1180